(Metro Manila, Philippines)
This is a nice piece of homemade doggie clothing because it’s fashionable, it helps the environment, and it makes dogs feel like they’re part of the human world.
- A denim jacket you’ve outgrown
- Needle and thread
- Embroidery floss and embroidery needle
- Colorful magazine pages (no text, no people)
- Curlicue punch (or pen and scissors)
- Fabric glue (optional)
If the denim jacket is too big for your dog, re-size it with the needle and thread.
Note: This jacket should only cover the front legs and chest, not the whole body, so re-size to that.
- Now, using the curlicue punch, punch out a long curlicue on the magazine page (or draw curlicues and cut out).
- Sew or glue into place on the jacket.
- For additional decor, embroider things like flowers, butterflies, hearts, or stars.
This jacket is nicely paired with doggie sunglasses (or Doggles), a doggy skirt,and a cute doggy bow on a barrette.
Comments for Curlicue Doggie Jacket
This would be a great project for a series of days when you have a considerable amount of time, especially if you don’t have a special curlicue punch. I see endless design opportunities with decorating this jacket and wish I had time to make a bunch of them!
However, rather than using magazine photos, I think it would be better to use some type of fabric that could be washed while on the jacket.*
In that case, it might be best to cut your shapes from a type of fabric that doesn’t unravel around the edges, and then use a fabric glue to add that to your homemade doggie jacket.
Instead of fabric, you could also take colorful cords and form your designs from them. You could use different round containers to help shape the designs, pin the cords in place, take a look and adjust them as needed, and then glue them.
*You’d probably get the designs to keep looking their best by gently hand washing the garment rather than using a washing machine.