Make a dog cookie cutter of your own design out of materials you have lying around the house.
Once you have your cookie cutter(s) made, simply mix up a batch of your favorite cookie dough, stamp out the cookies, and bake.
Save them for your dog as treats, bring them to fellow dog owners at the dog park, or make up a gift basket to give away on those special occasions.
There are many dog related themes you could choose:
- An outline of a particular dog breed or a dog’s head (just type “dog silhouette patterns” in your search engine and you’ll find plenty of choices)
- Make an outline of your own dog from a photo or sketch
- A dog bone (search under “dog bone template”)
- A dog house (can be found under “printable dog house”)
Materials & Tools to Make a Dog Cookie Cutter
- A piece of cardboard at least 5 x 5 inches (125x125mm)
- A clean plastic margarine or butter container, 16oz (454g) or larger
- Duct tape – about three trips around the roll
- A pair of scissors
Step 1. Pick Out & Draw the Design
- Make a template of a picture from a book or online source and resize it as needed.
- Print, cut out and glue or staple the picture to the piece of cardboard.
- Use a pencil to draw around the picture. The legs or tail should be at least 1/4″ (6 mm) wide.
- Erase lines and redraw as needed.
- Darken the lines of your final design with a pen or marker.
Step 2: Cut the Plastic Strip
- With scissors, cut the rim off the container.
- Make a vertical cut down the side to the bottom.
- Starting at the above cut just before the bottom curve, cut a horizontal strip all the way around.
You should now have a curved strip about 2″ (50 mm) wide that used to be the sides of the container.
- Cut this strip into two lengths about 1″ (25 mm) wide.
- Lay the two strips over one another and trim sides evenly so they’re at least 3/4″ (20 mm) wide.
- Note: Tape them together temporarily to do this. One strip will probably be longer because of the container’s shape.
- Overlap the strips by about a 1/2″ (12 mm) end-to-end and tape them together.
Step 3: Making the Dog Cookie Cutter
- Cut short strips of duct tape and then rip them in half.
- Attach them to your working surface.
- Take the plastic strip where it is joined together and start taping it to a fairly straight part of your drawing, i.e. the dog’s back, a side of the doghouse, or center part of the bone.
- Apply tape to both the inside and outside of the strip.
- For tight corners, crease your strip firmly.
- Continue till done and cut off any excess length.
- Join the two ends with a piece or two of tape.
Step 4: Fine Tuning
- Try your design on a rolled out piece of cookie dough.
- Make adjustments (retape) as needed.
- When satisfied, apply strips of tape perpendicular to the tape already in place.
Step 5: Bake the Cookies
Now all that’s left to do is cut out the cookies and bake! Clean your cookie-cutter by wiping it with a paper towel or a clean rag.